04 July 2007

Books - April to June 2007

It's been a few months and I have, once again, slacked off on telling y'all what I have been reading. Well, one book seemed to temporarily taken the life out of me and then I read a bunch of real crappy selections because it's summer (and I felt like reading crap, so there!). Some of these books I have read months ago so forgive me if my memory is a bit sketchy.

1) Tamarind Mem - Anita Rau Badami
I liked this one. Just liked. It is a story of a female in India growing up and reflecting on growing up, as well as with her relationship to her mother. After awhile, I admit, I became a little tired of her complaining about her mother. The novel took a turnaround and the last half of the book was about her mother reflecting on her own life and being a mother. I found this part to be the most interesting. I think the opinions and feelings of mothers are often overlooked.

2) Book of Longing - Leonard Cohen
Ahhhh, my future husband. This is the latest book of poetry and writing he released. I loved it, for the most part. There are some poems that make you feel hot and sticky. Others that make you laugh. There are a few that I simply did not care for. All in all, a good hot, steamy, bathtub or in-bed read.

3) Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres
This is the book that sucked a bit of life out of me and took me a little too long to finish. I struggled through it for the first 167 pages and contemplated putting it down. I stuck with it and I'm glad. I ended up reading the rest of the book lightning quick. I liked it a lot - the characters, the general story, the dialog. I ended up watching the film afterwards. Wow, talk about butchering the story. Insert foghorn sound here.

**And then I read a bunch of crappy, "light summer reads".**

4) Deadly Decisions - Kathy Reichs
Something about biker wars in Montreal, bones, and DNA. Yawns...

5) Midnight Bayou - Nora Roberts
This book's back cover promised me a thrilling read that will keep me on the edge of my seat. In reality, this book made me sleepy. Something about a ghost in the bayou and some rich guy from Boston who decided to renovate and haunted plantation house. I think. These light summer reads are blending into one another.

6) Bone Deep - Darian North
Something about some more bones and DNA and me napping on the couch.

7) Remember Me - Mary Higgins Clark
This was written by the so-called Queen of Suspense. Insert more napping here.

Anyway, in my defense - my mom picked up these light, summer reads at a garage sale. She went out of her way to send them and I figured that I should read them nonetheless. I feel like I have to justify reading those books. It was disgustingly hot out and I didn't feel like reading anything with hearty substance. I'm reading a good book now. In fact, I am very pleased with it. I'll tell y'all about it in my next installment! Stay tuned...

Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Blogarama Blogarama - The Blog Directory